[tz] [english 100%] Re: OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Meno Hochschild mhochschild at gmx.de
Sat Jan 27 20:49:27 UTC 2018

About the wish for the restriction that a set of rule lines with same
name should not have mixed signs of dst offsets, I will try to explain.
The whole thing is about labelling what the zero dst offset stands for.
If such a set of rule lines only contains either positive or zero SAVE
then the zero dst offset corresponds to winter time (default). If the
set of rules only contains negative or zero SAVE then the zero dst
offset corresponds to summer time (Eire). But if we have both negative
and positive and zero offsets then how to label the zero dst offset? A
human being might guess it by looking at the year context, but I am not
sure if a machine tool can do it, too. Would be a hard nut to crack.

By the way, I don't mind if my suggestion of introducing an optional
META column at the end of a rule line might be modified such that we get
a new file with similar content (with the advantage not to change the
zic input format). And even then I would prefer not to have mixed signs
within the same set of rules equally named. It makes programming much
easier. And I also believe that such a new file is not increasing the
maintenance burden so much because a case like Ireland is rather rare
(okay and maybe also Egypt or Morocco with ramadan time or historic
double dst offset in some countries shortly after second world war).

With best regards

Meno