[tz] EU Public Consultation on summertime arrangements

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Wed Jul 11 10:48:33 UTC 2018

Paul Eggert said:
> For example, if France decides to stay on UTC +02 all year, many English-language systems would likely call France???s new time zone ???Eastern European Time (EET)???, due to the long association between EET and UTC +02. The EU should suggest this terminology (or some other terminology, if it prefers) to help interested parties discuss and understand the new timekeeping clearly.

I've figured out what is bothering me about this wording.

The point we're trying to get across is that the new French zone should
*NOT* be called "CET" because many systems will associate that with UTC+01.
So we need to (a) say this explicitly and (b) be clear that "other
terminology" mustn't include CET (or CEST, for the reason given earlier).

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.