[tz] Getting current tzdb version in use

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Sat Jul 21 06:08:20 UTC 2018

Paul Goyette <paul at whooppee.com> writes:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2018, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This seems unduly pessimistic to me.  If zic writes an additional file
>> into the target directory, that would probably automatically get included
>> by most packagers --- it'd look no different from a new zone file.  And
>> I doubt many packagers are left who haven't set things up to just
>> automatically include new zone files.  ...

> NetBSD would not automatically install an additional file.  The build
> process is very explicit about which files get copied to the build's
> destination directory;  it is also very selective in what files it
> includes in the .tgz "distribution set" files.  Manual intervention is
> needed to update these steps.

And your point is?  Should I conclude that NetBSD users see a seriously
lobotomized set of time zones, or does the packager just automatically
update the distribution list every time a new file shows up there?

In my former life as a packager for Red Hat, you'd list a specific set of
files you expected your package to install into, say, /usr/bin -- either
an unexpected addition or unexpected removal there should set off alarm
bells.  But the file list for tzdb's database would almost certainly just
be "/usr/share/zoneinfo/*"; there is no value in expending packager brain
cells on second-guessing the upstream there.  Maybe NetBSD's packaging
toolchain is too impoverished to do that, but I'd certainly call that
a bug not a feature.

			regards, tom lane