[tz] Hong Kong time 1941

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Sun Nov 18 00:00:43 UTC 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 10:34, Phake Nick <c933103 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1941 September 29, South China Morning Post, Information on sunrise/sunset
> time and other things for September 30 and October 1:
> https://i.imgur.com/kCiUR78.jpg

It's interesting that one of the low tides for 1941-09-30 is given as
24:27.  I wonder if it was commonly practiced at times not in the vicinity
of DST changes to list times greater than 24:00 (akin to the Japanese
"25:00" issue recently discussed on this list), or if this was simply the
South China Morning Post considering that day to contain 24.5 hours.
Presumably looking at listings from a week or two either side (i.e., a
quarter- or half-month away) might shed some light on how they recorded
such times in normal practice.

Although there is considerable variation, the timing of tides tends to be
delayed by an average of ~50 minutes per day; so, combined with the
30-minute fall-back, that would put the "last" low tide of 1941-10-01
somewhere near 24:45 or 24:50, but that isn't listed as such in this
image.  (I would suppose it was eventually listed around 00:45 or 00:50 on
1941-10-02 instead.)

--
Tim Parenti