[tz] Ethiopia local time

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Thu Oct 11 16:12:21 UTC 2018

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 10:49, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> To my mind this is more a localization preference than an independent time
> zone.

…which, again, is why I suggested specifying that tz starts numbering the
hours from midnight.  Both counting practices can very much be considered
to have days with hours numbered from 00 to 23, but only one starts at
midnight.  If indeed, anything else is considered localization, then that
should probably be specified.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 10:28, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

> I see no difference between this and the decision to include Asia/Urumqi.

They count the hours in the same fashion as Asia/Shanghai, but unofficially
observe a zone closer to their local solar time.  There is certainly a gray
area between these cases, but I think they're pretty clearly different.

--
Tim Parenti