[tz] [tz-announce] 2018f release of tz code and data available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 25 08:40:13 UTC 2018

On 10/24/18 5:16 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> The issue is that virtually no-one knows about those additional
> distributions.

That issue will always be with us; it won't be any different in 2019 or 2020
than it is now. And we had the same issue in 2011 when we made the transition
from elsie.nci.nih.gov and changed distribution URLs. Java users did OK back
then, and I don't see why we need to do this transition differently.

The underlying problem here is that Java-based .zi parsers and operational
procedures are too tightly coupled to tzdb format details that the Java parsers
support only imperfectly or with a long lag time, and this problem will continue
as long as tzdb evolves (which it will). A good way to address the problem is
for Java to do what every other significant downstream distribution does, which
is to redistribute the data the way Java wants it, thus decoupling the tzdb
distribution from the Java distribution. There will be glitches when this
decoupling is accomplished, regardless of whether it's done in the next tzdb
release or a dozen tzdb releases from now, and we might as well get started now.