[tz] [DRAFT] EU-related changes likely ??? here???s a heads-up

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 15 16:30:03 UTC 2018

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> I think that's a bad assumption. Unless we have the very hardest of
> Brexits, and I don't think even Boris is that daft, EU legislation will
> apply for at least a transition period, so we'll be following the EU on
> this.
>
> Yes, I know there is still some support for summer time changes in the UK,
> but the Irish border, in particular, will result in pressure to keep us in
> line.

Not to mention the Gibraltar border, or the borders around Akrotiri and
Dhekelia. :-)

Although you may well be right, the only somewhat-authoritative quote I've seen
on the topc (albeit with odd grammar) is, "A British government spokesperson
told RTÉ News: 'The UK Government has no plans to change Daylight Saving
Time.'". See: Farrell P. Clock changes may result in border time difference. RTÉ
News. 2018-09-13 13:21 +01.
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0913/993513-clock-changes-may-result-in-border-time-difference/

The draft I sent could very well be wrong elsewhere too. EU Transport
Commissioner Violeta Bulc said Friday that early indications were that Finland,
Denmark and the Netherlands would take the option of reverting to winter time in
October 2019. Angela Merkel was reportedly on the fence; a lot depends on her
decision. See: Posaner J. Brussels risks clock-change chaos. Politico Europe.
https://www.politico.eu/article/commission-proposal-raises-prospect-of-eu-time-zones-change-chaos/

In an indication of the confusion we'll see on the topic of time zone names,
Posaner's article (which is currently the main headline on Politico Europe) says
"Updated 9/15/18, 12:41 PM CET" although this timestamp was surely CEST, not
CET. If it's this bad already, it may be some time before we can determine the
consensus English-language abbreviations for the new time zones.