[tz] [DRAFT] EU-related changes likely – here’s a heads-up

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Sat Sep 15 19:14:29 UTC 2018

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 at 20:05, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Jon Skeet wrote:
> > I was
> > suggesting it because it's easier to see changes via the GitHub UI than
> in
> > a patch in an email.
>
> Hmm, I see your point. However, I'd rather not depend on GitHub-specific
> features, as I don't want to tie the development version to GitHub (we may
> want
> to move it to iana.org, for example). The patch format I'm using is the
> Git
> standard and many tools are available to process it, so readers preferring
> alternate views have many options. For example, if you're using
> Thunderbird
> there's the Colored Diffs add-on
> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/thunderbird/addon/colored-diffs/>,
> not
> that I've ever used it (I prefer reading the standard format).

Anyone who wants to use normal Git tools would be able to use it more
easily from a clone of the GitHub repo than from a patch file, I'd say.
It's not like using GitHub *prevents* anyone from using regular git tools -
it makes it easier to do so than downloading a patch from an email and then
processing that, IMO. The ability to view the change on the GitHub UI is
simply an added bonus which presents it in a friendly manner without
downloading *anything* locally (and certainly without suggesting using a
specific mail reader, which I'd consider rather more intrusive than
visiting a web page).

But anyway, I've made my suggestion, and of course you're entirely within
your rights to reject it.

Jon