[tz] Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam

Phake Nick c933103 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:03:07 UTC 2019

On 2019-2-18 Mon 22:42, Tim Parenti <tim at timtimeonline.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 03:53, Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> If *post*-unification time - which is post-1970 - doesn't match
>> Asia/Bangkok, then Asia/Bangkok should not be used for any part of Vietnam;
>> there should be one or more Asia/{whatever} for Vietnam from 1970 to the
>> present.
>

> To be a bit more precise, for our purposes, I mean when the *clocks* were
> reunified, independent from the various stages of political reunification.
> Our data has that occurring on 1975-06-13.  Since that time, all of Vietnam
> has agreed with Asia/Bangkok, so there is no issue there.
>

>> If Vietnam's pre-unification offset or rules were different between the
>> north and the south from 1970 to 1976, then "one or more" means "at least
>> two", e.g. Asia/Hanoi and Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (even if it was called Saigon in
>> 1970).
>

> This, however, is where the need for a second zone for Vietnam arises.
> And indeed there are already two listed in zone1970.tab (Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh
> and Asia/Bangkok); it's just that one of them happens to be modeled by a
> city outside Vietnam.  That is not considered a problem per theory.html.
>
> --
> Tim Parenti

Also pay attention that, because it is the time history of Ho Chi Minh city
not time history of South Vietnam, the rule represent the transition of
clock due to change in political status of the city as the city was being
captured by Northern Vietnam. Southern Vietnam might still control some
other territories and use their own clock thereafter but those are not part
of time history of HCM City and are thus not recorded here.