[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Thu Feb 21 05:25:15 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-20 21:51, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2019, at 7:27 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> My expectation is that the meeting organizer schedules an event at their
>> reference location(s), in those locations' time zones, and attendees may display
>> the event in the time zone for their default, current, or other location.
>> When I say locations, that allows for an event being a flight or trip from one
>> location to another in a different time zone.

> (I don't think of a flight as a meeting unless the meeting is being held on
> the aircraft, so presumably "meeting organizer schedules an event" should be
> "event organizer schedules an event", where "meeting organizers" is a
> subclass of "event organizers".)

There may be companion "attendees" on some business and often on personal trips.

> So, if the event is a flight, the event has a start time that's something
> such as "time to arrive at the airport from which the flight departs" or
> "time the flight takes off" and a duration or end time.

I schedule events per the ticketed location(s) and times, with event alarms days
or weeks before events, and reduce alarm lead times as events become imminent.

> In that case, if, for example, the flight organizer is in one location, and
> the flight is from another location and to another location, presumably the
> start and end times aren't scheduled in the flight organizer's location - is
> the beginning time scheduled in the departure airport's location and the end
> time scheduled in the arrival airport's location?

That's why I said "at their reference location(s), in those locations' time
zones" to allow a trip to be scheduled from NYC to LAX locations at each
airport's local times as ticketed, regardless of the organizer's location.

That could differ were we considering changing airline schedules for multiple
aircraft based out of one base airport, and the base time zone for such
schedules could be UTC regardless of location: a corollary of "Universal".