[tz] Java & Rearguard

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Mon Jun 3 09:36:43 UTC 2019

    Date:        Fri, 31 May 2019 17:19:22 -0700
    From:        Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu>

  | On May 31, 2019, at 3:49 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
  |
  | > On the contrary, IEEE Std 1003.1-1998 requires support for so-called "negative DST",
  |
  | Can we promote the term "Daylight Shifting Time"?

It would be more consistent with other such acronyms, and easier
to read, if it were "Shifted Daylight Time" (cf: ISO, UTC, ...)

But even better, just call it "the time" and be done with it.   Having
two names (standard and **whatever**) implies that only two are possible
(and leads to the dumb assumptions that people tend to make).

When we need to refer to a specific time in a specific place, on a
specific date, we need all of that information to do it properly.
Allowing anyone to believe otherwise, ever, is to do them a great
disservice, even if in particular cases some of it ends up being
implied by other parts.

kre