[tz] Timezone in Autonomous Republic of Crimea and spelling of Kyiv

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Jun 23 20:48:50 UTC 2019

Michael Deckers via tz wrote:

>     This would invalidate the invariant used hitherto for "zone.tab":
>
>        The single country code chosen for a location in "zone.tab" (and
>        used as the first country code for a location in "zone1970.tab")
>        designates the administration hierarchy that currently effectively
>        determines the civil time at the location (except for AQ).

That invariant is not documented in tzdb, and it's incorrect for areas other
than AQ and Crimea. For example, "US" identifies the administration hierarchy
that currently effectively determines the the civil time for Guam, but zone.tab
doesn't put Pacific/Guam under "US".

Anyway, I'd rather not add political restrictions like that to the data or to
the documentation. We already have too much politics in tzdb already, and we
should be working to remove rather than add political constraints.