[tz] Jeopardy! category on time zones 2019-05-28

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue Jun 25 02:19:51 UTC 2019

On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 19:34, Tim Parenti <tim at timtimeonline.com> wrote:

> I'll try to send over the clues tomorrow.

Well, life got in the way of that plan, but now I think we're well past the
time for potential spoilers here.  The clues are probably not terribly
difficult for most long-time followers of this list, but feel free to quiz
yourself before you scroll down!

*Episode 8002, aired Tuesday 2019-05-28*
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6297
The following clues appeared in the Double Jeopardy! round, under the
category "Time Zones":

$400: The International Space Station is on this time zone measured from
the British Isles

$800: Egypt has adopted Daylight Saving Time, but suspends its use during
this Muslim month

$1200: In the Mountain Time Zone, it's when the Times Square ball drops

$1600: Markets Fyr, an island in the Gulf of Bothnia, follows 2 time zones
because it's split between these 2 countries

$2000: France has the most time zones, 12, if you count Pacific possessions
& this saintly island off Newfoundland near Miquelon

As it so happens, it's just as well that I waited, as a similar category
showed up a week later…

*Episode 8007, aired Tuesday 2019-06-04*
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6307
The following clue appeared in the Final Jeopardy! round, under the
category "World Time Zones":

This European country is still an hour ahead of GMT, a move made in 1940 to
be on the same time as Nazi Germany

(Correct responses and light commentary below.)

.

.

.

.

.

.

*2019-05-28*
$400: What is Greenwich Mean Time?
$800: What is Ramadan?
$1200: What is 10 p.m.?
$1600: What are Sweden and Finland?
$2000: What is Saint-Pierre?

The $800 clue was read aloud without emphasis on "has", e.g., "Egypt has
aDOPted…", rather than "Egypt HAS adopted…" which might have been more
appropriate given that it no longer uses DST.  All of the 2019-05-28 clues
received a correct response from the contestant who rang in.

*2019-06-04*
FJ: What is Spain?

One contestant responded correctly while the other two gave incorrect
discussion on a fan forum as to whether France, Belgium, Luxembourg, or the
Netherlands would have been accepted, as those countries also switched in
1940, or whether "the difference implied by the clue here is that Spain
made the switch voluntarily".
https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/06/final-jeopardy-6-4-2019.html#comment-19956

--
Tim Parenti