[tz] *Off top* A little respect ...

Chris Woodbury tzocd at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 26 06:04:21 UTC 2019

On Tue Jun 25 13:34:37 UTC 2019, Sergij Marchenko makars at gmail.com wrote:

> What is the time zone here?  This is not interesting to anyone.

Actually, I disagree, that is *EXACTLY* what this list is about.

It is a *technical list about timezones* and the IANA TZ software. Generally,
I/we would rather politics did not rear its ugly head.  However, there is a
constant trickle of folks *WHO MISS THIS POINT ENTIRELY*.

> The question is, to which country belongs the territory occupied by Putin Huilo.

To you; perhaps.  To this list, probably not.  *County codes* kept by the TZ database
are a secondary aspect of the zone.  (Again: *NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT*.)  TZ
keeps the country code only as a non-authoritative aspect of the data.  Specifically,
"the CC normally identifies the administrative hierarchy that currently effectively
determines the the civil time". Again, we're talking about "reality on the ground".
(Though Dr. Eggert did mention AQ (Antarctica) and Crimea being exceptions.)

"zone.tab", one of the files listing CCs, explicitly states:

  19: This table is intended as an aid for users to help them select timezones
  20: appropriate for their practical needs.  It is not intended to take or
  21: endorse any position on legal or territorial claims.

"zone1970.tab", the other file, says exactly the same thing starting on line 30.

Both files explicitly refer to this disclaimer for the Europe/Simferopol entry.

Last but not least, currently the CCs of Europe/Simferopol in ".zone.tab"
and "zone1970.tab" are "UA" and "RU,UA" respectively.

These seem apropos to me.