[tz] end of DST in occupied France October 1944

Michael H Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 5 19:31:58 UTC 2019

    On 2019-09-05 16:20, Alois Treindl wrote:

> This is just a question to some well informed readers of this mailing
> list.
>
> Liberated France ended daylight saving time on 8 October 1944, 01:00,
> as represented in zone Europe/Paris.
>
> Eastern parts of France were still occupied by the German army at that
> time, and Germany ended DST in 1944 on 2 October 1922, 02:00s = 03:00,
> as represented in TZ
> by Europe/Berlin, rule C-Eur.
>
> For occupied France however, Shanks claims the end of DST on 3 Oct
> 1944 03:00. For all other countries in Europe on German time at that
> moment, Shanks holds that DST ended 2 October, like in Germany itself.
>
> I cannot find a source supporting Shanks' claim for the deviation in
> France.
>
> Does anyone have information supporting Shanks' claim?

       I only have a source arguing against that claim of Shanks'.

       The paper [Yvonne Poulle: "La France à l’heure allemande"], online
       at [https://www.persee.fr/doc/bec_0373-6237_1999_num_157_2_450989],
       describes at length how France arrived at a common civil time
scale in
       both occupied and free territory. It seems to say [p 501] that
the switch
       to summer time (UT + 02 h) in 1944 followed German rules, while the
       switch back to UT + 01 h was as ordered by the provisional
government.

       Michael Deckers.