[tz] end of DST in occupied France October 1944

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Fri Sep 6 09:25:13 UTC 2019

On 05.09.19 21:31, Michael H Deckers wrote:

>    On 2019-09-05 16:20, Alois Treindl wrote:
>>
>> This is just a question to some well informed readers of this mailing
>> list.
>>
>> Liberated France ended daylight saving time on 8 October 1944, 01:00,
>> as represented in zone Europe/Paris.
>>
>> Eastern parts of France were still occupied by the German army at
>> that time, and Germany ended DST in 1944 on 2 October 1922, 02:00s =
>> 03:00, as represented in TZ
>> by Europe/Berlin, rule C-Eur.
>>
>> For occupied France however, Shanks claims the end of DST on 3 Oct
>> 1944 03:00. For all other countries in Europe on German time at that
>> moment, Shanks holds that DST ended 2 October, like in Germany itself.
>>
>> I cannot find a source supporting Shanks' claim for the deviation in
>> France.
>>
>> Does anyone have information supporting Shanks' claim?
>>

>       I only have a source arguing against that claim of Shanks'.
>
>       The paper [Yvonne Poulle: "La France à l’heure allemande"], online y
>       at [https://www.persee.fr/doc/bec_0373-6237_1999_num_157_2_450989],
>       describes at length how France arrived at a common civil time
> scale in
>       both occupied and free territory. It seems to say [p 501] that
> the switch
>       to summer time (UT + 02 h) in 1944 followed German rules, while the
>       switch back to UT + 01 h was as ordered by the provisional
> government.
>
>       Michael Deckers.

Thank you for this interesting link.

There is no mention of October 1944 in this interesting document.
I only find a decree by the (liberated) French government about the end
of DST on 8 Oct 1944.

The parts of France occupied by Germany on 3 October 1944 correspond
roughly to the provinces Alsace and Lorraine (German: Elsass und
Lothringen) which had been part of the German Reich between 1971 and
1918 and then went back to France.

Germany under the Nazis considered them de facto as part of Germany
since 1940, but the legal status was undefined - they were not mentioned
in the contract with France of 1940.

I think one is safe to assume that the DST regulation for 1944 was de
facto valid for these two provinces, as far as they were still in German
hands.
In our Astrodienst time zone database, I will modify the date given by
Shanks from 3 Oct to 2 Oct, for the occupied areas.

The German law does not mention them. It mentions only some eastern
areas under German administration.