[tz] KyivNotKiev

Michael H Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 27 12:15:08 UTC 2020

    On 2020-11-27 10:41, Guy Harris quoted theory.html:
> 	   * Use mainstream English spelling, e.g., prefer Europe/Rome to Europa/Roma, and prefer Europe/Athens to the Greek Ευρώπη/Αθήνα or the Romanized Evrópi/Athína. The POSIX file name restrictions encourage this guideline.

    One should note that the change requests for "Kyiv"
    instead of "Kiev" are based on a new transliteration
    system into Latin script for Ukrainian toponyms and
    proper names that has been prescribed for legal
    documents by the Ukrainian government in 1996 and
    2010.

    While this certainly makes "Kiev" incorrect in new
    legal texts, one cannot say that it makes "chicken Kiev"
    incorrect. It will take some time until "Kyiv" becomes
    the mainstream English spelling -- one problem with it
    is that it is not clear how it should be pronounced.

    What I find surprising is that this issue comes up
    so often. I hope it is not a political issue
    with which tzdb should not be involved.

    Michael Deckers.