[tz] DST existed in Portugal 1950

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Sun Feb 7 08:48:31 UTC 2021

TZ claims that in 1950 there was no DST in Portugal, zone Europe/Lisbon.

While it was continuously applied between 1916 and 1965.

The sources quoted in file europe are poor, it is only Whitman versus
Shanks/Pottenger.

I have research online law collection for Portugal at https://dre.pt/
and searched for 'hora de verão'.
The results are sparse, but what I find on legal texts does not indicate
any interruption of the 1916 law for the year 1950.

This Wikipedia page shows a list
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_de_per%C3%ADodos_em_que_vigorou_o_hor%C3%A1rio_de_ver%C3%A3o_em_Portugal
and mentions the Decreto-Lei nº 37048 for 1949-1965.

That law says 'first Sunday in April to first Sunday in October.

No exception for 1950.

Here is a list from the Lisbon astronomical observatory, which says the
same thing.

http://oal.ul.pt/documentos/2018/01/hl1911a2018.pdf/

I suggest that the rules for Europe/Lisbon should be updated accordingly.