[tz] Request for change to the tz database

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Mon Feb 8 21:40:57 UTC 2021

John Hawkinson said:
> > Huge +1 on this. I find the Kiev spam on this list /extremely/ annoying.
>
> This language and this sentiment is actually offensive.
> The people advocating for Kiev-not-Kiev are not "spamming" the list. They are not sending email to the list that is unsolicited (if that even means anything for a mailing list). They are not sending email to the list that is commercial in nature. To be "spam," they need to meet both of thoses tests.

Sorry, but that's not so. A continual repeat of the same message *is* spam,
whether commercial or not. In this case it's always presented as a
political matter; politics can be spam even if they're not asking for
money.

> If we were getting 1 inquiry from a new person about Kyiv each week, or each day, that would be telling us something.
> (Something which, I would argue, we should listen to).
>
> As it is, we're barely hitting one per month, on the average.

Really? It feels a lot more.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.