[tz] "official" zone name alternatives via Link records

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Fri Feb 12 16:04:26 UTC 2021

On 12.02.21 15:55, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Alois Treindl said:
>> If the meaning of Link records in the main files were expanded to also
>> indicate
>> alternative zone names, then an entry in file europe
> But *which* alternative names? Can I request Europe/Cambridge?
> Europe/Swavesey? Europe/Benbecula?

No, you cannot.

The theory.html files describes quite clearly the rules for which towns
qualify as zone names.
My suggestion refers primarily to relaxed spelling options for these towns.

The Palestinan request contradicts the rules in the theory file. tzdb
does not aim to represent capitals for zone names, but the most
important population center.

Because Hebron is the most populous town in Palestine, it is correctly
used as zone name.