[tz] TZif version 4 (was: zoneinfo generating issues)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 17 19:14:08 UTC 2021

On 3/17/21 11:36 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:
> How would I be able to generate such a TZif4 file, so that I can test
> whether timelib can read them correctly? FWIW, timelib doesn't support
> leapseconds for calculations, but I do need to know whether I can read
> the files.

You can run 'zic -L leapseconds asia' where leapseconds has an Expires
line that is not commented out; this will generate an expiration notice
in each TZif file.

Alternatively, you can run 'zic -L leapseconds -r at 315532800 asia' even
without an Expires line. This will generate TZif files with leap second
data truncated from below.

If you're ignoring leap second data you should be fine; the counts still
count the number of leap second entries (which you're skipping over).