[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu May 20 17:57:48 UTC 2021

On 5/10/21 1:38 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> I'd like to do more tests before installing it into the development tzdb
> repository on GitHub. Also, the patch needs a proper NEWS entry and
> commit message before installing.

I did that and installed the attached revised patch into the development
repository.

The second attachment 'adjustments.diff' attempts to records adjustments
to this patch, compared to the patch I circulated ten days ago.
'adjustments.diff' is hand-edited due to merges and so is intended only
for human consumption.

The most significant adjustment was to add Link lines to 'backzone' so
that people interested in out-of-scope pre-1970 data won't see any
changes due to this patch. There are also some adjustments to commentary
and a dependency fix in the Makefile.