[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sat May 22 07:08:24 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-21 01:57:48 (+0800), Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
> On 5/10/21 1:38 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> I'd like to do more tests before installing it into the development
>> tzdb repository on GitHub. Also, the patch needs a proper NEWS entry
>> and commit message before installing.
>
> I did that and installed the attached revised patch into the
> development repository.
>
> The second attachment 'adjustments.diff' attempts to records
> adjustments to this patch, compared to the patch I circulated ten days
> ago. 'adjustments.diff' is hand-edited due to merges and so is
> intended only for human consumption.
>
> The most significant adjustment was to add Link lines to 'backzone' so
> that people interested in out-of-scope pre-1970 data won't see any
> changes due to this patch. There are also some adjustments to
> commentary and a dependency fix in the Makefile.

I think the first part of this change (merging timezones with no changes
post-1970) makes a lot of sense.  I'm less convinced about the second
part of the change (merging timezones into Etc).  That feels like
indirection for the sake of indirection.

The end result looks correct though.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps