[tz] Vanguard vs. "main" vs. rearguard

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu May 20 18:17:07 UTC 2021

On 5/20/21 10:50 AM, Kerry Shetline wrote:
> Is there a particular reason that the following situation is handled with bespoke awk processing:

The goal was to keep the data source simple, and put hacks into
ziguard.awk when that's easy. I would rather not have these hacks bleed
into the data source.

> It would be great if the special comments would be all one needed to parse the data for rearguard, main, or vanguard.

I see where you're coming from, but that's not the goal here. I didn't
want to invent a preprocessor for zic, creating technology that would
have to be documented and supported and have backwards-compatibility
problems of its own. The vanguard/main/rearguard stuff is just a
hopefully-temporary hack that, once it evaporates, will require zero
maintenance.

By the way, is anybody still using rearguard format? If not, perhaps
it's time to retire this stuff now. (That would save us all the hassle
of conversations like this one. :-)