[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu May 27 10:46:30 UTC 2021

I examined the changes this makes using my tzdiff tool:
https://github.com/jodastephen/tzdiff/commit/bbeef1aae8797ecdf28202b751fdd01760a48e16

To me, this seems like an awful change.

As can be seen in the link, many places (eg Anguilla, Antigua and
Aruba) are now sharing time-zone history, and that history is **from
some other zone**. That seems completely unacceptable.

While I understand the motivation to remove the burden of pre-1970,
that cannot come at the cost of giving a place the history of
somewhere completely different.

I ask that this change is completely reverted.

Stephen