[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu May 27 10:50:39 UTC 2021

Stephen Colebourne via tz said:
> As can be seen in the link, many places (eg Anguilla, Antigua and
> Aruba) are now sharing time-zone history, and that history is **from
> some other zone**. That seems completely unacceptable.
>
> While I understand the motivation to remove the burden of pre-1970,
> that cannot come at the cost of giving a place the history of
> somewhere completely different.

But that's been the case ever since we stopped creating new zones when we
discovered a bit of pre-1970 history. All that's happened is that this is
now being done across countries rather than only within a country.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.