[tz] Pre-1970 data

Brian Park brian at xparks.net
Sat Nov 6 00:04:04 UTC 2021

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 3:28 PM Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

> Brian Park via tz said:
> >    4) So maybe the solution is to use 2-letter or 3-letter ISO codes,
> >    instead of the shortened, quasi-English versions of the country names.
> >    So we get things like "CA/Eastern" or "CAN/Eastern", instead of
> >    "Canada/Eastern". Not very satisfying for Canadians or many other
> >    countries (except for Americans whose ISO codes "US" and "USA" match
> >    their colloquial usage perfectly).
>
> Are you ready to jump into the political quagmire that is "GB" versus "UK"?
> Something that people are - literally - ready to kill over.

The ISO code for the UK is listed as "GB". Not our fault. But I think what
you are saying is, if Northern Ireland decides to have its own timezone, we
can't do GB/Northern_Ireland, so we'd need to create a UK/Northern_Ireland
(that will point to the Zone Europe/Belfast that will have to be created in
the canonical TZDB) and that would be an exception. I guess anything that
describes the real world will have exceptions like this.

The question I have for people who have expressed support for creating a TZ
database organized by ISO country, are the benefits worth the inevitable
controversies that will arise? If so, then we should create a new project
and work out the details.

Brian