[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Kim Davies kim.davies at iana.org
Mon Sep 20 22:52:54 UTC 2021

Quoting Derick Rethans via tz on Monday September 20, 2021:

> I've also not seen any response to the formal complains that were sent
> to IANA.

To clarify on this, I am not aware of any pending complaints that have
been sent to IANA. We host this community project in accordance with RFC
6557, which means that the TZ coordinators are appointed by the IESG,
and also the appeals process is operated by them
<https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/>.

I understand there is an appeal pending that is being considered by the IESG.
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-June/030308.html>

Importantly, this is a community project and the intention is for
consensus to be built in this very forum for changes to be made, and
IANA does not play a role in editorial decisions concerning timezones.

> I don't like the idea of a fork, mostly because it serves nobody to
> have two competing versions of tzdb, but right now I can't see another
> way out...

I agree that forking this work leaves everyone the poorer, I hope a
resolution can be found that is satisfactory to everyone.

kim