[tz] Some thoughts about the way forward

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Fri Sep 24 07:32:30 UTC 2021

On Fri, 24 Sept 2021 at 08:09, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> On 9/23/21 9:00 PM, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> > My chief concern is instability and incompatibility
>
> 2021a1 will give you maximum stability and compatibility with 2021a, so
> you can use that if equity is not as much of a concern for you.

Except that the name 2021a1 is *not* compatible with
https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-link.html

A requirement of "in order to keep stability and compatibility, you have to
adopt a new naming scheme which is incompatible with the old one" seems
counterproductive to me. You're basically asking people to choose between
stability of naming scheme or stability of data - and unnecessarily, IMO.

If you just changed the names to (say) 2021b and 2021b-equity (or 2021b1 if
you prefer) then:

   - Those who value stability and compatibility get what they want, at the
   cost of equity
   - Those who value equity get what they want, at the cost of stability
   and compatibility

Jon