[tz] Some thoughts about the way forward

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Fri Sep 24 09:10:49 UTC 2021

On Fri, 24 Sept 2021 at 09:39, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 9/24/21 1:08 AM, Jon Skeet wrote:
> > we don't genuinely know the impact of a change of *this* scale. I
> > would suggest that we've done "this sort of thing" on a smaller scale.
>
> OK, how about if I scale back the current round of link-merging, so that
> it's on the scale of what we've done in previous releases? I would not
> at all be happy with such an approach since it would delay the release
> of an equitable solution, but if this approach will help reach consensus
> I can prepare a patch along those lines. The idea would be to finish the
> job in the next few releases.

I'd need to see exactly what's proposed, as would others, but I'm happy to
look.

However, I wouldn't expect us to be able to get opinions on that
*immediately* - whereas we really need a change for Samoa ASAP.

So I personally (I'm not going to attempt to speak for anyone else) would
be happy with a plan of:

   - Release 2021b as "2021a + Samoa" today
   - Create the patch with the limited changes and submit it for community
   approval, with an eye to releasing that (and making progress in your view)
   in a few weeks, whether or not there are any other data changes to be
   released.

What we're still missing is any way of taking the community view,
admittedly. I'd suggest that a GitHub PR with the change could allow
"voting" via reactions (as well as comments on the details, of course). I
suspect that's clearer than just mailing list discussions - although of
course it requires folks to have GitHub accounts.

Jon