[tz] [tz-announce] 2021b release of tz code and data available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 29 09:06:19 UTC 2021

On 9/28/21 4:56 PM, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:

> What I discovered was that the primary damage to Joda-Time would have
> come from the commit that move the Links from the main files to
> backward (2a18a625a0171e5c54249a54179eda3409b1b838).

Thank you for reporting the problem. The commit you mention is
independent of the alike-since-1970 merge and so it's not that
important. I reverted it by installing the attached patch into the tzdb
development repository.

If you'll compare the resulting 'backward' file to what you derived in
your copy, you should find only a couple of minor differences, which I'm
also attaching to this email separately, as a convenience. I hope this
serves as an effective merge of the two versions.

It sounds like we should release tzdb 2021c shortly, since this is a
significant problem downstream.

> Previous merges
> have not (I believe) moved the resulting link into backward.

Previous merges were not consistent. Sometimes they moved the resulting
Link into 'backward' (e.g., America/Coral_Harbour, Europe/Belfast), but
often (as you noticed) they did not. Although (as others have noted in
recent emails to this list) it would be nice to fix Link
inconsistencies, that's not urgent and right now the priority is to
address the 2021b compatibility issue that you mentioned.