[tz] [tz-announce] 2021b release of tz code and data available

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Sep 29 10:45:12 UTC 2021

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 10:06, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> On 9/28/21 4:56 PM, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
>
> > What I discovered was that the primary damage to Joda-Time would have
> > come from the commit that move the Links from the main files to
> > backward (2a18a625a0171e5c54249a54179eda3409b1b838).
>
> Thank you for reporting the problem. The commit you mention is
> independent of the alike-since-1970 merge and so it's not that
> important. I reverted it by installing the attached patch into the tzdb
> development repository.

I can't see it here
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commits/main

> If you'll compare the resulting 'backward' file to what you derived in
> your copy, you should find only a couple of minor differences, which I'm
> also attaching to this email separately, as a convenience. I hope this
> serves as an effective merge of the two versions.

I think what the "correct" answer for those two locations is probably
depends on the larger discussion, so that is OK for now AFAICT.

> It sounds like we should release tzdb 2021c shortly, since this is a
> significant problem downstream.

This would be very helpful for those Joda-Time users that install the
data set manually, thanks.

> Previous merges were not consistent. Sometimes they moved the resulting
> Link into 'backward' (e.g., America/Coral_Harbour, Europe/Belfast), but
> often (as you noticed) they did not. Although (as others have noted in
> recent emails to this list) it would be nice to fix Link
> inconsistencies,

I agree that having a consistent set of rules and data is a good aim.

thanks
Stephen