[tz] Error in America/Ojinaga

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Dec 9 22:11:55 UTC 2022

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 16:46, Nikos (Nikolaos) Papadakos, PhD via tz <
tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Our customer is a major airline in Mexico and they tell me the time
> should America/Ojinaga should be the same as America/Denver.

It is our understanding that the recent changes split time zone observances
along Chihuahua's northern border.  According to that split, from
2022-11-30, Ojinaga is like America/Chicago, while Ciudad Juárez is like
America/Denver.

> III.    Para el Estado de Baja California, así como para los municipios
> de Janos, Ascensión, Juárez, Praxedis G. Guerrero y Guadalupe, del
> Estado de Chihuahua, acorde a sus correlativos a su franja fronteriza,
> se aplica el meridiano 105 grados al oeste de Greenwich."

While the above describes that the municipio of Juárez (including
its municipal seat, Ciudad Juárez) observes a standard time of UTC-7, which
is like America/Denver, the section immediately prior reads:

II.     Para los municipios de Coyame del Sotol, Ojinaga y Manuel
> Benavides, del Estado de Chihuahua, acorde a sus correlativos a su franja
> fronteriza, se aplica el meridiano 90 grados al oeste de Greenwich;

…meaning that the city and municipio of Ojinaga follow UTC-6, which is like
America/Chicago.

A new zone, America/Ciudad_Juarez, was split off from America/Ojinaga in
2022g to allow for these differences in timekeeping.  Since this zone did
not exist prior to 2022g, those in the western portions of Chihuahua's
border region (including Juárez) will need to switch to it, as the time in
and around Juárez and Chihuahua's northwest no longer matches the time in
Ojinaga and Chihuahua's northeast.

--
Tim Parenti