[tz] TZ data base and code

Jin Quan Shen jinquan.shen at seagate.com
Thu Feb 3 09:44:38 UTC 2022

Hi Paul,
I have some typo in previous email, correction as below
Found that TZDIR in Makefile and tzselect.ksh must be different.
TZDIR in Makefile need point to build result directory in VM machine
TZDIR in tzselect.ksh need point directory in target machine, /usr/share/zoneinfo/

Found reason is because in Makefile , TZDIR is for compilation result, however tzselect.ksh is run on target machine so that its TZDIR needs to point to actual accessing folder /usr/share/zoneinfo/

Another i have figured out problem that cause compilation error for ARM
In Makefile, when change compilation for ARM to generate zic, the generated zic cannot be executed in VM with 0x86 CPU when the Makefile requires zic to execute.

I can run tzselect and zdump as following in target machine with ARM CPU now, still need to bring up other items in timezone for target machine. Thank you for help.

Regards,
JinQuan

=========== run tzselect in target machine ==============
/usr/bin # sh tzselect
Please identify a location so that time zone rules can be set correctly.
Please select a continent, ocean, "coord", or "TZ".
1) Africa
2) Americas
3) Antarctica
4) Asia
5) Atlantic Ocean
6) Australia
7) Europe
8) Indian Ocean
9) Pacific Ocean
10) coord - I want to use geographical coordinates.
11) TZ - I want to specify the time zone using the Posix TZ format.
#? 4
Please select a country whose clocks agree with yours.
1) Afghanistan
2) Armenia
3) Azerbaijan
4) Bahrain
5) Bangladesh
6) Bhutan
7) Brunei
8) Cambodia
9) China
10) Cyprus
11) East Timor
12) Georgia
13) Hong Kong
14) India
15) Indonesia
16) Iran
17) Iraq
18) Israel
19) Japan
20) Jordan
21) Kazakhstan
22) Korea (North)
23) Korea (South)
24) Kuwait
25) Kyrgyzstan
26) Laos
27) Lebanon
28) Macau
29) Malaysia
30) Mongolia
31) Myanmar (Burma)
32) Nepal
33) Oman
34) Pakistan
35) Palestine
36) Philippines
37) Qatar
38) Russia
39) Saudi Arabia
40) Singapore
41) Sri Lanka
42) Syria
43) Taiwan
44) Tajikistan
45) Thailand
46) Turkmenistan
47) United Arab Emirates
48) Uzbekistan
49) Vietnam
50) Yemen
#? 40
The following information has been given:                                                                                                                                                                                                               Singapore                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Therefore TZ='Asia/Singapore' will be used.
Selected time is now:   Thu Feb  3 09:46:14 +08 2022.                                                                   Universal Time is now:  Thu Feb  3 01:46:14 UTC 2022.
Is the above information OK?
1) Yes
2) No
#? 1
You can make this change permanent for yourself by appending the line
     TZ='Asia/Singapore'; export TZ
to the file '.profile' in your home directory; then log out and log in again.
Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
can use the tzselect command in shell scripts:
Asia/Singapore

========= run zdump in target machine ====================
/usr/bin # zdump /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Singapore
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Singapore  Thu Feb  3 09:50:00 2022 +08
/usr/bin # zdump /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Singapore