[tz] Moving more zones to 'backzone'

Christos Zoulas christos at zoulas.com
Sat Jul 9 11:01:08 UTC 2022

I view maintaining the pre-1970 data as an exercise in improving the historical record of timezone information. Historians don't simply discard information when they are not certain about its accuracy. They constantly work to make it better. In extreme cases it is called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_revisionism <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_revisionism>. I don't see any other group of people trying to do this work, so like it or not we are the best positioned group to maintain this information right now. I believe that we should provide the best information to our knowledge instead of giving up and discarding it because of convenience. I also agree with kre that the arcane zic format needs to be redesigned to ease maintenance.

Best,

christos