[tz] permanent DST and North American time zone names

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Mar 16 15:16:00 UTC 2022

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 at 11:10, John Sauter via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> The problem, of course, is that we won't know ahead of time what
> abbreviations to use.  A reasonable guess, however, is that people will
> continue to use whatever abbreviations they have been using.

Complicating matters somewhat is that, because of the prevalence of tzdb,
in a sense we're "victims of our own success".  That is, whatever we end up
picking will likely show up fairly automatically in a lot of public-facing
places, and so even if it isn't what the public would've naturally used in
the immediate aftermath of a change, many will be fairly quickly informed
by what they start to see, and may start adopting and spreading whatever
nomenclature we've picked.

--
Tim Parenti