[tz] Mexico on track to abolish DST

gera gera at gera.com.mx
Fri Oct 28 01:31:33 UTC 2022

Hello guys.

Thing is, there are certain regions which will get a change on its DST as soon as October 30th, 2022.

This is the case for Chihuahua (America/Chihuahua) which seems wont change its time this sunday, as it'll be aligned to Mexico/General, again, this same October 30th, 2022, according to this same law.

This sets what I think are really hard implications for most of the services running on this timezone.

If the said law is published between now and next Saturday, I guess it'll be havoc among users on this timezone.

I still don't think there's an easy fix from tz to this, but I think it's important for somebody to notice this.

On 9/30/22 12:12, Paul Eggert wrote:
>/Yesterday Mexico's Chamber of Deputies voted 445–33 to abolish DST in />/most of Mexico, and although there are more hurdles I expect this to />/become law. When that happens, I hope the following simple patch will />/suffice /
Mexico's Senate voted 59-25 today to approve the law. As I understand
it, it will become official after the president signs it (which is
expected, as it's his idea) and its official publication. Assuming that
happens we can cite the publication and install the patch into TZDB.
Although this wouldn't affect timestamps until 2023-03-19, we'd need a
new TZDB release well before then to give time for the data to percolate
downstream.

I haven't heard anything about Paraguay recently. If Paraguay is also
changing its rules effective March 2023 it'd be nice to get that in the
next TZDB release as well. But I suppose we shouldn't wait too long for
Paraguay to decide.

Here's coverage of the Mexican Senate vote:

https://comunicacionsocial.senado.gob.mx/informacion/comunicados/4104-pleno-del-senado-aprueba-dictamen-para-expedir-ley-de-los-husos-horarios-en-mexico