[tz] Mexico on track to abolish DST

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Oct 28 15:43:04 UTC 2022

On Fri, 28 Oct 2022 at 11:08, gera via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Thing is, there are certain regions which will get a change on its DST as soon as October 30th, 2022.
>
> This is the case for Chihuahua (America/Chihuahua) which seems wont change its time this sunday, as it'll be aligned to Mexico/General, again, this same October 30th, 2022, according to this same law.
>
> That is good to know.  So far, our understanding had been that ALL regions
would fall back on 30 October (or 6 November, for those that follow US
rules) as originally scheduled, and therefore that we would have until 2
April 2023 before the change affected any timestamps.  But if any regions
are indeed changing zones by NOT falling back this weekend, that is a
different story and we should work to get that into a release as soon as
possible.

Do you have a clear reference for which regions will be doing this?
Perhaps a comparison of the regions listed in the recently approved law and
the previous law it replaces?

This sets what I think are really hard implications for most of the
services running on this timezone.

> If the said law is published between now and next Saturday, I guess it'll be havoc among users on this timezone.
>
> I still don't think there's an easy fix from tz to this, but I think it's important for somebody to notice this.
>
> Yes, and it underscores the importance of allowing sufficient time to
allow changes to be clearly communicated, encoded, tested, published, and
propagated to end-users.  This issue is well familiar to frequent readers
of this list, but remains somewhat less familiar to the governments of the
world.

Even if we're able to get a release out in the next ~40 hours before this
happens, by this point, it's unlikely to get to most end-users in time.

--
Tim Parenti