[tz] Mexico on track to abolish DST

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 28 17:50:57 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-27 18:31, gera via tz wrote:

> This is the case for Chihuahua (America/Chihuahua) which seems wont
> change its time this sunday, as it'll be aligned to Mexico/General,
> again, this same October 30th, 2022, according to this same law.

Ouch, this is news to me, and disagrees with the TZDB patch[1] I
proposed last month but have not yet installed because the bill is not
yet law as far as I know.

Although I found an article on this topic in Wednesday's El Heraldo de
Chihuahua[2], I don't see any public government announcement of
Chihuahua changing its rules this weekend.

I have been unable to find the text of the bill that passed the Senate
of Mexico, but which (as far as I know) has neither been signed by
President López Obrador nor officially published, both of which would be
needed for it to take legal effect. If you happen to know where the text
of this bill is available, that would be of help to us.

It would be a stretch for Mexico to publish the law today (with no
advance notice of its unexpected effect on Chihuahua, and perhaps other
states?) and expect TZDB and cell phones and computers to be updated by
Sunday morning. So I hope this is a false alarm (while realizing it
might not be). If Chihuahua is moving from -07 to -06, it would make
more sense for it to do so next year, and I hope that's what will
actually happen.

[1] https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2022-September/031963.html

[2]
https://www.elheraldodechihuahua.com.mx/local/chihuahua/aprueban-en-el-senado-que-chihuahua-se-queda-con-horario-de-verano-fijo-9093938.html