[tz] Errors compiling 2022f on macOS

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Sun Oct 30 20:57:12 UTC 2022

On Oct 30, 2022, at 10:40 AM, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately, a downside of this patch is that zic by default now lacks internationalization support on macOS.

Unfortunately, a downside of macOS not providing an implementation of the gettext API (the first implementation of which was, I think, in Solaris) is that zic by default lacks internationalization support on macOS.

That statement may also hold true for some other UN*Xes.  NetBSD has a BSD-licensed implementation from the Citrus Project:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_Project

	http://citrus.bsdclub.org

and I think Radar has an entry from some guy at Apple pointing that out and suggesting that Mac OS X, as it was called at the time the Radar was filed, consider providing it.