[tz] Ecuador time zone list

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Mon Sep 19 14:21:25 UTC 2022

Đoàn Trần Công Danh wrote in
 <Yyhs1xtElMI5WM6u at danh.dev>:
 |On 2022-09-19 14:10:14+0100, David via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
 |Yes, it's odd, but at least it have some connection to Ecuador.
 |Until you see that Laotian, Cambodian (and to a degree, Northern
 |Vietnamese) users need to set their timezone to Asia/Bangkok,
 |which is a city in an unrelated country.

You can use Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh, /Saigon, /Phnom_Penh, /Vientiane.
It is found by tzselect(8) if you use the undocumented "-t zone"
option:

  $ tzselect -t zone
  Please identify a location so that time zone rules can be set correctly.
  Please select a continent, ocean, "coord", or "TZ".
  1) Africa                                                            5) Asia                                                             9) Indian Ocean
  2) Americas                                                          6) Atlantic Ocean                                                  10) Pacific Ocean
  3) Antarctica                                                        7) Australia                                                       11) coord - I want to use geographical coordinates.
  4) Arctic Ocean                                                      8) Europe                                                          12) TZ - I want to specify the timezone using the Posix TZ format.
  #? 5
  Please select a country whose clocks agree with yours.
  1) Afghanistan             8) Cambodia              15) Indonesia             22) Korea (North)         29) Malaysia              36) Philippines           43) Taiwan                50) Yemen
  2) Armenia                 9) China                 16) Iran                  23) Korea (South)         30) Mongolia              37) Qatar                 44) Tajikistan
  3) Azerbaijan             10) Cyprus                17) Iraq                  24) Kuwait                31) Myanmar (Burma)       38) Russia                45) Thailand
  4) Bahrain                11) East Timor            18) Israel                25) Kyrgyzstan            32) Nepal                 39) Saudi Arabia          46) Turkmenistan
  5) Bangladesh             12) Georgia               19) Japan                 26) Laos                  33) Oman                  40) Singapore             47) United Arab Emirates
  6) Bhutan                 13) Hong Kong             20) Jordan                27) Lebanon               34) Pakistan              41) Sri Lanka             48) Uzbekistan
  7) Brunei                 14) India                 21) Kazakhstan            28) Macau                 35) Palestine             42) Syria                 49) Vietnam
  #? 8

  The following information has been given:

          Cambodia

  Therefore TZ='Asia/Phnom_Penh' will be used.
  Selected time is now:   Mon Sep 19 21:19:23 +07 2022.
  Universal Time is now:  Mon Sep 19 14:19:23 UTC 2022.
  Is the above information OK?
  1) Yes
  2) No
  #? 1

  You can make this change permanent for yourself by appending the line
          TZ='Asia/Phnom_Penh'; export TZ
  to the file '.profile' in your home directory; then log out and log in again.

  Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
  can use the /usr/bin/tzselect command in shell scripts:
  Asia/Phnom_Penh

I strongly recommend to document that option as well as making
!zone1970 the default, _or_ being more verbose and show both
saying something along the lines "shares timezone information
with" or what.

I would be willing to write an according patch.

--steffen