[tz] Ecuador time zone list

Đoàn Trần Công Danh congdanhqx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:21:58 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-19 16:21:25+0200, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen at sdaoden.eu> wrote:
> Đoàn Trần Công Danh wrote in
>  |On 2022-09-19 14:10:14+0100, David via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>  |Yes, it's odd, but at least it have some connection to Ecuador.
>  |Until you see that Laotian, Cambodian (and to a degree, Northern
>  |Vietnamese) users need to set their timezone to Asia/Bangkok,
>  |which is a city in an unrelated country.
>
> You can use Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh, /Saigon, /Phnom_Penh, /Vientiane.

Yes, I know about /Ho_Chi_Minh and /Saigon (it's my correct timezone,
since I live in the Southern part of Vietnam),
since Saigon is distinct from Bangkok (until 1976).

> It is found by tzselect(8) if you use the undocumented "-t zone"
> option:

Anyway, thanks for "-t zone", it works for Vientiane and Phnom_Penh,
however, it doesn't work for Hanoi (which is used for North Vietnam).
Hanoi has different timezone history from Saigon until 1976, but Hanoi
has same history with Bangkok from 1970.

Not sure if I built tzutils incorrectly. But,

- "tzselect" w/o any options will choose Asia/Bangkok for
  North Vietnam and Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh for South Vietnam,
  so North Vietnam will have incorrect historical timezone pre-1970,
  which is not tzdb's concern
- "tzselect -t zone" will choose Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh for the whole
  Vietnam, which has incorrect timezone history for North Vietnam
  from 1954 until 1976

--
Danh