[tz] Moving more zones to 'backzone'

Peter Krefting peter at softwolves.pp.se
Wed Sep 28 15:31:47 UTC 2022

Peter Krefting via tz:

> I was looking for that, but the change predated the zone1970.tab file
> itself, so I didn't find where to deduplicate that, I need to do some
> further research on that.

So I ended up reversing most of the country-merges from 5ddc47fe415a
(New file time.tab, superseding zone.tab; 2014-07-18) in our version
of the 2022d database release now. I am trying to make available at
least one city within each (sovereign, for some value of sovereign)
country, to make selecting timezone as little confusing as possible.

It is a lot easier for me, living in Norway, to understand that I
should select Oslo for my timezone, and not Berlin (I would probably
have ended up selected "Brussels", being the EU "capital", lacking
other choices; Windows has a similar issue, I have never figure out
which time zone I really am in from their list, as neither list my
country/any cities in it).

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/