[tz] Ecuador time zone list

David mailing at pov.es
Mon Sep 19 13:10:14 UTC 2022

Thank you for your reply, Sanghyeon.

>> Alas, yet another rule is "Do not change established names if they
>> only marginally violate the above guidelines. For example, do not
>> change the existing name Europe/Rome to Europe/Milan merely because
>> Milan's population has grown to be somewhat greater than Rome's." I
>> think it is exactly the case here.

I understand your point but it is puzzling to think how outside this
list Guayaquil has a bigger relationship to Ecuador than Quito for the
majority of users. I asked several Ecuadorian friends if this is common
when selecting a time zone because I found it odd, and they were as
puzzled as me.

I know that someone else raised this on a really old version of Red Hat,
and I brought it up because it is an issue on Ubuntu. In both operating
systems they feed from this list upstream and they won't make changes. I
am pretty sure that this is something that affects a huge variety of OS
that use this list.

It wasn't and it isn't my intention to convince you to make any changes,
just merely making you aware of the impact it is having on users. Other
operating systems allow the selection of Quito and I found it odd,
that's all.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.