[tz] Introduce Etc/UTC+x timezones?

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Mon Apr 24 23:59:04 UTC 2023

On Fri, 21 Apr 2023 at 16:23, Doug Ewell via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> The question is whether a new set of 26 identifiers should be created in
> the tz database which look like aliases for the existing “Etc/GMT±n”
> identifiers, but which in fact have the opposite meaning.
>
> I have to agree with Paul Eggert that this would add nothing but confusion.

FWIW, I'd pondered making a similar proposal a few years back, and
similarly concluded that it's not worth the added confusion for many of
the reasons already stated.

At least not unless/until the backward-compatibility concerns leading to
the existing Etc/GMT* zones will have (someday) outstayed their welcome,
and even then we'd want to wait a good while before adding anything similar.

--
Tim Parenti