[tz] leap_second.list not updated after latest IERS Bulletin C

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 7 19:52:23 UTC 2023

On 2023-12-06 05:22, Maximilian Linhoff via tz wrote:

> There is IERS Bulletin C from 2023-07-04 announcing no new leap
> second on 2023-12-31
That's been installed in the development repository here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/eggert/tz/main/leap-seconds.list

Is there some reason we need a new TZDB release because of this? Do you
use software that requires that this file come from a TZDB release,
rather than from other sources such as the one mentioned above?

I recall that traditionally ntpd needed leap-seconds.list and looked at
the expiration but am not up to date with what its successor NTPsec is
doing. chrony does not currently use leap-seconds.list - and although
this has been proposed for a future release, that proposal does not look
at the expiration; see:

https://www.mail-archive.com/chrony-dev@chrony.tuxfamily.org/msg02727.html