[tz] leap_second.list not updated after latest IERS Bulletin C

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Sat Dec 9 21:30:24 UTC 2023

On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 at 15:59, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> The IERS version lacks a copyright notice

It appears that https://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/README now contains a
Creative Commons notice which covers the entire `bulc` directory:

# The files in this directory and sub directories are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 : CC BY-ND 4.0
# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Based on the Wayback Machine and the directory listing at
https://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/ it appears this change was made on
2022-07-07.

The previous 2017-04-11 version of the notice, strictly speaking, only
pertained to the README file itself, and not to the rest of the directory
or its subdirectories:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220528051035/https://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/README

On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 at 16:56, Brian Inglis via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> [I read about one bureaucrat who had spent seven years thus far trying to
> get a
> document approved!]

This has been going along for about as long!  It still falls short, though.
of the ideal that the leap-seconds.list file itself also contain the notice
so we (and others) don't have to duplicate it elsewhere:
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2017-April/024988.html

It also doesn't necessarily allay the other concerns.  But it's definitely
some progress, at least.

--
Tim Parenti