[tz] leap_second.list not updated after latest IERS Bulletin C

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Dec 8 22:33:56 UTC 2023

On Fri 2023-12-08T14:55:27-0700 Brian Inglis via tz hath writ:
> [I read about one bureaucrat who had spent seven years thus far trying to
> get a document approved!]

A century ago the Paris bureau of the IERS, then the BIH, undertook
activities which were not explicit in its charter, and as a result
suffered greatly.  At subsequent meetings when their oversight
committee wanted them to undertake new activities the minutes document
that the BIH director had to remind the oversight committee to write a
draft directing them to perform the new duties and explicitly vote to
record their approval of that document.

As much as we all might like a copyright-free document, and perhaps
even more, a digitally-signed authenticatable leap-seconds.list, I do
not expect that to happen unless several international scientific
bodies request the current overseeing body to produce a written
directive telling the IERS to do that.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855