[tz] [PROPOSED 2/2] Fix comments on Lebanon this week

Andrea Singletary asinglet at epic.com
Tue Mar 28 17:44:16 UTC 2023

I also find xkcd 2347 - "Dependency" to be highly relevant. https://xkcd.com/2347/

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 3:31 AM
To: Deborah Goldsmith <goldsmit at apple.com>
Subject: Re: [tz] [PROPOSED 2/2] Fix comments on Lebanon this week

On 2023-03-27 21:55, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
> Do you know if any further changes are planned for 2023c?

No further data changes are planned. That is, 2023c is planned to be the same as 2023a, except for commentary. Before issuing 2023c I want to wait a few more hours for responses to that idea, which was circulated on this list.

In an attempt to see the lighter side of the situation I installed into the development repository the attached patch to commentary. This adds four xkcd panels to our humor section: "Good Morning"[1], "Consensus New Year"[2], "Edge Cake"[3], and "Consensus Time"[4]. If cartoonist Randall Munroe lurks on this list, perhaps he'll add a panel about Lebanon's time chaos some day.

This patch also refers to Emanuele Arciuli's recent recording[5] of the first twelve parts of The Time Curve Preludes[6], a piano cycle composed in 1977/8 by William Duckworth[7]. I heard part of this cycle for the first time yesterday when listening to the March 20 broadcast of Alley Stoughton's radio show "Not Brahms and Liszt"[8] on MIT's station WMBR
88.1 FM. That broadcast recording[9] is available for the next six days in the show's archive, if you'd like to listen too. The selection from The Time Curve Preludes is the third piece in the show, and I found it a welcome relief from this week's time chaos.

[1]: https://xkcd.com/673/
[2]: https://xkcd.com/2092/
[3]: https://xkcd.com/2549/
[4]: https://xkcd.com/2594/