[tz] Proposal to revert 2023b's Lebanon data changes

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 28 19:22:59 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-28 12:11, Saadallah Itani wrote:
> Can you just release 2023-c based on the government decision yesterday which is the official and align with the government statement yesterday and comment its description for history records?

Yes, that is an option. The problem, though, is that there is genuine
disagreement on the ground as to what rules should be followed, whether
the prime minister's announcement last week was legal, how today's
timestamps in hospitals and banks and etc. should be interpreted, and so
forth. And generating such a 2023c would involve making further
decisions, such as what abbreviation to use for these timestamps - would
  they be "BMT" or "EET"? and if they're "BMT" wouldn't that break some
existing software?

Yet another option is to wait until after the March 29/30 transition and
then release 2023c as a duplicate of 2023a. This would have a different
set of problems, which I hope are obvious; surely this option would be
worse than rolling back to 2023a today.